MARITIME
RADIO
STATIONS
OF THE
WORLD

UNITED
KINGDOM

> WORLD INDEX

Cullercoats Radio GCC

Cullercoats Radio was built in 1906 by the Amalgamated Radio Company. The Danish, Poulsen Arc Company purchased it in1909 and in 1912 it was taken over by the GPO.

Originally a spark gap transmitter was installed to feed an antenna mounted on a 200 foot wooden mast. A replacement valve transmitter was installed in 1929. (Marconi Point in the Press)

Marconi Point, Cullercoats was the location of the Maritime Radio Station operated laterly by British Telecom (BT) Aerocautical & Maritime Services under the callsign GCC. This site was the receiving and operations station with the transmitters operated remotely a short distance North at Old Hartley.

Cullercoats Radio is now closed. The tranmsitter masts were demolished during the year 2000 and the site, which is a listed building, has been sold and redevelop into a private home. Navtex service from Cullercoats GCC continues on 518kHz from the Old Hartley transmitter site.

Cullercoats Radio 1940
Cullercoats around 1940

View of Cullercoats showing Cullercoats Radio GCC and various other landmarks
View of Cullercoats showing Cullercoats Radio GCC,
Cullercoats Watch House, Cullercoats Inshore Lifeboat Station
and the Dove Marine Lab

GCC
Satellite view of the Cullercoats Radio site
showing the buildings and aerial mast anchor blocks

 

 

Ship's Nostalgia - The Radio Room

Cullercoats Radio GCC